Sunday, March 1, 2009

Curious Climb


Curious.

I begin my climb

My past, like a scroll

I leave the now behind

I scale the unknown

A mystery opens before me.


Higher I go

I can feel it now

Can feel the untold

The breeze meets me

Tousles my hair

It beckons me upward.


Not looking down

No! I keep going up

Intrigue pulls

Like a match to straw

And my eyes are wide

With spark, and the now gets dark.


The wind

It picks up

How it wrestles and moans

And I cling to the limbs

As the distant unfolds

A moment, I freeze in fear.


Horizon.

What is that, far away?

For the now is gone

And the branches sway

I catch my breath

And glance down below.


Downward:

What am I saying?

The past, the familiar

Or is it today

That I'm missing?

The clock still ticking.


With one last gleam

Lowering frightened eyes

I begin my decent

One by one

Carefully, steadily, slowly

The ground comes in view.


The breeze.

It becomes friendly again

And the now becomes nearer

Drowns out echos; the stormy tempest

I lower myself

At last; my mind regains peace


It cannot be said

What is seen up those trees

With the now thrown aside 

Tomorrow; no. It is not yet time.

Today is held precious

On it tomorrow depends.


Thanks, God, that You give the right glimpses of the future at just the right times. May we hold today precious and not throw it aside - tomorrow will come - in time.


February 2009

2 comments:

Joy said...

Katie, this is amazing! (of course I am assuming you wrote this poem) Well done!

Katie Preston said...

Thanks Mum! :)