Tuesday, May 8, 2012

life shared

/ what is life / kept to ourselves / careful words composed / it's a book upon the shelf / a story never told / 
Deas Vail

[from my recent YFC newsletter...]
 
A memo from the road... about stories. 
I love a good story, especially if it's true. Right now I'm sitting in the backseat of a 15-passenger van loaded with Comox Valley Youth for Christ staff and overnight gear. We’re on our way home from the YFC  Regional Conference we attend annually in Chilliwack, BC. It's been a full four days of meeting with staff from other areas; both new missionaries and those we look forward to seeing once a year. In the midst of dining hall bustle, I found myself quiet with curious eyes, taking in the diversity of talents, giftings and personalities within the room. Observing laughter, conversation, people serving other people, and most of all, stories being shared. Each person so unique with different backgrounds and experiences. Everyone has a story.
As I got to know other staff this week, I was reminded that listening is so underrated in our society. We talk a lot of ourselves, but imagine with me: a world in which we listened more. What we would learn from each other? What could we glean from other people, like a farmer reaping grain for food and nourishment? What opportunities would we happen across to talk about Jesus? Imagine a world where we honoured one another’s stories more.
I read a quote in my grade 12 textbook that has stuck with me these ten years (mostly, I’m afraid, due to the fact that this does not come natural for me): “You have two ears and one mouth. Remember to use them in more or less that proportion.” As I process these things and enjoy hearing from other staff and the reason they are doing what they’re doing, my challenge is to remember that everyone has a story. When I come into contact with people, to wait before making judgments from their expression or demeanor.  To welcome their life story. To just... listen.
Last fall, a stranger sat down next to me in a coffee shop. She wanted to ask me some questions, but instead of replying outright, I mostly asked her questions about her story. This wound up opening a several hour conversation about who Jesus is that I would never have had the chance to take part in had I not been willing to chat, and even more so, to listen. When the lady started asking me questions, there were questions behind her questions, as Andy Bannister of Ravi Zacharias Ministries would say. She needed to be listened to. We all do. I don’t share this as a thumbs up for myself, but rather as punctuation — illustration, if you will — to this thought. Everyone has a story to share. Sometimes, we just need to reach out and ask.

No comments: