Saturday, May 3, 2008

Biking Up the Hill Down By the Bay

Well, it's not really a bay... it's actually just a little beach. But I did bike up the hill. You know, part way...


Okay, so I'm not exactly what one would describe as a marathon biker. I mean, I enjoy it and all, but when it comes to the big hill down by the bay... er... "beach", well, I'd best not too quickly pass off my day job. Maybe I should get some tips from my cousin, David - he bikes long distance back and forth to work all the time! Or from my friend, Jodie - who is biking her way from Campbell River, British Columbia, to the Mexico border, get this; to raise funds for the BC Children's Hospital! Now THAT is dedicated biking. And I can't even make it up the dumb old hill! (For more information on Jodie's amazing trek, check out http://www.journeyofcourage.ca!) Now where was I going? Ah yes, uphill!


So I get a good start. I'm feeling some power, got some speed, putting my full body into this thing. This is called stand-up biking; or something along those lines. I'm throwing all my energy into my bike pedals. Woosh. Woosh. Left. Right. Come on, I can do this. I will NOT let the hill get the better of me this time. Uh-oh, gotta gear down... 6... Woosh. Woosh. 5... Woosh. Woosh. 4... Oh boy, not looking good! How far have I...ahhh! I've been humbled to dismount my bike. I pretend to have a flat, or some sort of problem with my chain, as I grin valiantly at passing drivers in their shiny, high-powered little cars. I then grit my teeth and march my bike the rest of the two-thirds uphill. Sound familiar?


Sometimes I find myself doing this in other areas. Not at different beaches...I'm talking about the things I do everyday. See, I can be sailing along just fine through my day. I'm feeling good, got my happy ditties going through my head as everything goes tickity-boo. I think I'm doing great, doing it all right, until suddenly, *OOOF!* I start to feel it. Uh-Oh, *OOOF!* gotta gear down. I can look behind me and congratulate myself on my accomplishment, (look how far I've biked up this hill!) and shake my head at those who are maybe a little slower moving, maybe they haven't got it all together... *OOOF!* What's that, God? What are You saying? *OOOF!* Uh-oh, I have to gear down? *OOOF!* What? I don't have it all together, either? *URCH!* ...So what You're saying is, I'M NOT PERFECT?!


Perfect: excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement, entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings, expert; accomplished; proficient. (www.dictionary.com)


Okay, God, so about the way I handled that situation earlier...


Huh. Ever find yourself halfway up the hill, or a third of the way, as the case may be, when you come to a thundering halt? Maybe God asks us to gear down sometimes; to stop, look at ourselves and realise, Hey, maybe he/she/they haven't got it all together but, hang on a minute, neither have I! Do we turn around to look behind us and congratulate ourselves part way up? (maybe.) Does it slow us down? (you bet!) What about looking ahead toward the goal? (what is my goal?)


So I'm thinking I need some practice before I attempt the hill again. But that's okay, God is a loving coach.... And, next time you see me huffing and puffing my way up that slope, remind me to gear down. Better yet; offer me a ride!


Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:1-5, NKJV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great analagy Kate... Thanks for the humor :)
D