Saturday, August 30, 2008

a dollar-thirteen

You sat on the pavement outside

hat on the ground

I saw the look in your eyes

tired, dirty, weary, worn

years of experience, I'll never know

where you have been


What has brought you to today

as I stooped

placed my dollar-thirteen in your hat

my gaze met yours

the world skipped a beat

and I wondered

where you have been?


Your leathered face softened 

as I stood to your thanks

and lowered my head to avoid 

the stares of those watching

and watch, they did

but still I must wonder

where have you been?


Questions racing, I strode to my car

nodded courteously at your wave

as I climbed in, asking myself

what you'd eaten for supper

when your next meal would be

you'd been at it a while;

how far could you stretch a dollar-thirteen?

where have you been?


Nudging my car toward home

I realised what I really wanted 

was to know your name

sit on the pavement beside you

to believe you're a person

to hear your story and know

where you have been


I don't know how I can help you

but I wish you well

wish I could find a way 

to sit on the pavement with you

help you to know that you are

a person of value

regardless of where you have been


So I lay now awake, and I write

wonder if I'll ever find you

meet you again?

you are here today

may God remind you of Him

in every sunset of where you have been

1 comment:

Joy said...

Too beautiful for words.
Thank you for sharing.