Saturday, April 2, 2011

Justice: love and truth inseparable.

Looking for a read to get you out of your chair? Here's two:

The Bravehearted Gospel by Eric Ludy. A little slow for me getting started, (I'm about halfway through,) but the essence of the book shakes our rather tame and watered down ideas of Christianity.

N.T. Wright; Simply Christian. I'm only in the beginning stages of the book, but it's got my wheels turning full speed...

Here's what these two complimentary books have got me thinking about so far:

It's crazy. We, the western society, "want" justice so badly, yet we refuse to grasp Jesus' example of how it is lived out; how it works. We are so preoccupied with our own personal rights. Justice isn't hung up on me, on my rights. Yet we forget to check ourselves against Jesus' teaching: love God, love your neighbor. Have we lost touch with what Christianity truly is? Are we stomping on each other by willingly ignoring truth?

Yes, there is love in justice. There is grace, warmth, healing and a sense of peace. We cannot dismiss that justice also embraces the harsh reality of truth. Justice draws lines. Just like Jesus did. Jesus didn't simply think that truth was a nice idea. He lived it. He was truth in living form. He still is.

Luke 10:27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

John 8:31-32 NIV: To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. (32) Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (ESV: "...If you abide in my word..." v.31)

John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life..."

No comments: