Tuesday, April 12, 2011

the Pauper Burger

I admit it: I love cheeseburgers. Especially with lots of spicy sauce and loaded with tomato and onion. But when the juicy craving hits, I usually can't bring myself to spend $6 for a burger that I know is going to show up in my arteries later on. It's a cruel fate: the things we crave are often not the best for us. (Um, let's address doughnuts and Oreos another day!)

So I've formed a habit of propping my fridge open and inventing all sorts of cheeseburger-substitute sandwiches instead. Not only does this save me $6 since I'm using common ingredients on hand, it's also a much healthier option that doesn't leave me lethargic for the rest of the day! Here's my most recent addition, cheekily deemed the "Pauper Burger." (Move over, A&Dub!)

By the way, this sandwich doesn't actually contain any hamburger at all, since my schedule often doesn't leave a lot of time for making lunch. Eggs, on the other hand, are quick, nutritious, inexpensive, (thanks, Cherith Brook Farm! aka: Mum and Dad!) and I always keep a stash of them. If you're looking for a real hamburger, better head back to town. Or you could look here: http://allrecipes.com/ (aka: my favourite cooking site.)

The Pauper Burger: A&W Substitute no. 17

  • 2 slices of toast, buttered lightly (real butter is better for you than hydrogenated fats!)
  • 1 farm fresh egg (high in iron)
  • Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes (yum!)
  • a splash of milk (...I don't know. It's something people put in omelettes. I don't usually bother!)
  • a few pickled banana pepper rings (zesty goodness)
  • handful of fresh spinach leaves (also high in iron)
  • a slice or two of cheese (so many options right here!)
  • 3 slices of tomato (heaps of health benefits: http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/en/tomato.html)
  • optional hot sauce (I love Sriracha, found in the Asian isle)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Basically, all you do is make a little omelette with your egg + milk splash mixture, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, sprinkling the pepper rings on top. Once it starts to set, lay the spinach on one side and fold the omelette over itself, so that the spinach steams lightly inside the egg. Top with a little cheese, and pop a lid over the fry pan for a couple minutes until the cheese melts and the spinach starts to wilt. (Not too long, or your spinach will overcook!) When it's done, make a sandwich out of the toast, omelette, and tomato slices, flavouring with a little salt, pepper and hot sauce if you're feeling spicy.

Tada! Gourmet sandwiches at home. Hearty, healthy, and much less than $6!



No comments: