Sunday, November 18, 2012

Yearnings of the Homeland

// all i know is i'm not home yet / this is not where i belong
take this world and give me Jesus / this is not where i belong // 
 -Building 429

    Gazing at the storm through raindrops on the windshield, the waves were thrashing the beach and slowly taking over the shore one by one. The water rising to tumble over itself in its paradox of unpredictable yet orderly fashion. Whitecaps give way to some of the most beautiful hues of green, grey and those unnameable colours which eyes cannot decide on. A lone seagull would attempt victory into the wind, then disappear as the blustery song prevailed. 
    I watched the tide roll in for over an hour as the rain drummed and the car trembled in the gusts. Such beauty to behold in the word "STORM." I felt like Elijah standing in the entrance of the cave (1 Kings 19,) but rather than hearing a still small voice, everything in the storm was pounding, chanting, echoing a name - His name - the Creator. Showcasing the fingerprints of His handiwork from every possible angle. It was out there - His name - written on everything that moved and stood fast.
    In Romans, Paul writes that the invisible attributes of God are clearly seen in the things He made. (1:20) That explains why it is that when I take in creation I just can't get enough. Marveling at nature in light of God's word is perhaps the closest I can get to staring into the face of God. Even though I can't actually see Him, He is evidenced all over the place. Consider the wind - unseen yet clearly understood to be real and true. 
    I wondered, as I pondered these things and reflected on today being but a pit-stop on the eternal timeline, if I would one day miss this present shoreline, these mountains, the woods I now love so well... but no. I quickly dismissed the question, it is not the earth or creation that captivates me; it merely holds fingerprints, the living breath and soundtrack of the Most High; the Creator Himself. That is what really draws and enraptures my heart. Not the tide but the Tide-Maker. When we get to the Homeland, being right there in His very presence will be even more astounding.

The Bible speaks of many great men and women of old, who "...confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them." See Hebrews 11:13-16. Until then, we anticipate with wonder our Father's house... John 14:3 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." 1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known."




No comments: